January 19, 2010

A sticky situation



So I found myself in a rather sticky situation the other day....

Three days ago.... I opened up the kit I got from U-Handbag with excitement. I have been dying to make this purse since Mr Postman delivered it along with 3 others different ones to my desk before Christmas. So I read the instructions, cut the patterns, ironed on the interfacing, cut the fabric, carefully transferred the notches to the fabric, stitched all the pieces as instructed - all good up to now! Took the night off so I would be fresh to tackle the hardest part - the frame....

I positioned the frame and I positioned the frame again. Tissues and scrap fabric nearby for wiping up excess glue. I even had a conversation with the glue tube - lucky just the dog and I were in the room at the time... You would think with all that preparation, I would have a chance in not making a mess?? No no, I did make a mess... most of it was on my hands and my shirt, some in my hair as I tried to push aside the annoying fringe, a portion of it on the frame (easy enough to clean) but a blob of it was on the fabric. I was horrified and tried to wipe it off which made it worse.... Anyway to be kind to myself and not to re-live the nightmare, there is a patch on the front of the purse - yep smack in the front underneath the big clips - focal point!!!

Fast forward two nights, the glue is still on it, though dried clear and I managed to clean most of the sticky off, I KNOW it is there... (my camera hasn't picked up this mess very clearly but you can definitely see it!)...


To say that I am disappointed in myself is an understatement but I know this is my first ever go at making a purse with a massive frame when I had an unfriendly history (however long ago) with glue. I have not given up yet, I am hoping to have another go in the near future... In the meantime, I will use this purse as I love the shape and it is a great size in which I can fit all my essentials in and I will carry it with the patchy gluey side against my body.


Until next time, take care and blog soon...

No comments :

Post a Comment