November 8, 2013

Secret squirrel business is out of the bag!

The secret squirrel business cardigan is finished! YAY! I am super pleased at how it has turned out!


I just love the fair isle detail and the short rows collar!

For this project, I used almost 3 balls of Morris Estate 8 ply in the Storm colourway and a tiny bit (about 7 grams) in the Sprout colourway. It is a 100% Australian wool yarn and it knits up very soft and squishy.


I picked up the wooden buttons from my local Lincraft store and I think they work very well with this tiny garment.

I washed it with a small amount of SOAK Wash and lightly blocked it before weaving in the ends and sewing the buttons on.

 

Part way through I discovered that I needed more of the Storm colourway as I only had two in my stash. When I purchased an extra ball, it was from a different dye lot so the colours varied… A rookie mistake as I didn't realise until I finished one full sleeve - doh! I read somewhere that the best way is to alternate between one dye lot ball with the other. So I ripped back to a few rows before the ball change and started knitting one row of one ball and the next with the other. The result is acceptable although I would have loved to planned better so that's notes for next time!



I really enjoyed this project despite some the challenges along the way, mostly my own inexperience but that's how one learns! I will definitely make this again!



My friends love it and seeing how happy they are when they see my gift totally made my day!

Stitch with love!

2 comments :

  1. How cute! You did an amazing job on this :) You're so talented and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pilar! I was just following the pattern really. I love challenging myself with techniques that I haven't done before.

      Delete