April 21, 2013

Screen Printing workshop

I did my first screen prints yesterday!


From top left: screen exposed - waiting to be dried; some placemat sized fabric prints and repeat print on a 2metre long fabric.

I was having so much fun, I didn't get the chance to take more pictures. It was an all day workshop taught by Shivaun of Peter Leis Screen Printing Gear in Leichhardt. I highly recommend their workshops, Shivaun is so knowledgeable (being a 3rd generation screen printer, no wonder). She is extremely professional and passionate about her trade and it really showed throughout the day.

The maximum number per class is 4 people so you can get proper attention from the teacher and yesterday there were only two students including me so we got to ask lots of questions and plenty of practice.

It was a really wet day so we exposed our screens inside, in front of this really cool heat lamp set up but Shivuan did hers with natural light (on a rainy day) to show us how the screen would turn out under condition like that (and what an under exposed screen would look like too).  It was a long day (very good value for money) with lots of information and all hands on but what a fun and inspiring day I had!

We went through how to set up screen printing at home too so I am really interested in doing that and can't stop thinking about the possibilities!

I still have lots to say about this experience but somehow words aren't really enough, you have to actually be part of it to really appreciate how under rated true screen printing really is.

Here is to another "Try new things" experience!


No comments :

Post a Comment