November 4, 2012

An oldie but a goodie



It's an oldie but a goodie...  Armed with the recent new learned techniques I decided to revisit the very first softie pattern I drew up a few years ago.  He was inspired by a bear I had as a child - one my parents had to buy two of because I wasn't old enough to understand that mum washed the first bear and he fell apart...  

Anyway I digressed...

I made this guy in 2009, I remembered thinking how my hand stitching skill was horrid - probably why I didn't take any photos of the side where I closed the gap... I didn't really understand seam allowance properly either. and my stuffing technique was off. With all that said, I was proud of him and the smiley face I gave him. He went to a little girl's home where I know her parents value handmade things. 


2012 - so with another arrival of a friend's first baby boy this week, I decided to make Bear Bear again...

I redrew the pattern... 


Inserted the tail...

Added in some darts...

Stuffed the arms and tucked them in...


I used minky for his tail and ears, to give him the different texture...


Now all he needs is a snuggly stuffed body and a smiley face...

2 comments :

  1. Don't worry to much about your stitching Amanda, you give that toy to a kiddie and they just love it for what it is. I love your first teddy and I reckon the new one you're making will look spiffy too!
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete